What are participant types?
Participant types are categories of participants set by the event organizers, used to group participants with common specific traits. The ability to group participants by a specific type, gives the organizer the power to manage them more efficiently, to perform certain actions, to apply certain rules on them, and to address messages targeted for that specific group.
Participant types in registration
When participant types are defined, participants are prompted to choose their participant type during the event registration, immediately after they fill in their email address and password.
This is the first step after the participant has filled in their email address and password. There can only be one option per participant for the participation type.
Only the enabled participation types are visible in registration.
When only one participation type is defined (such as Virtual, which is necessary for virtual events), this single participation type won't be visible during registration, but will be assigned to all participants.
Main purposes for applying participation types
- Booking rules - determine which participants can be booked by which participants (examples: only buyers should be able to book sellers, local companies should only be able to book foreign companies) via Configuration - Booking Rules.
- Visibility rules - determine which participants can be seen by which participants (examples: visitors can only see the exhibitors, not other visitors) via Configuration - Event Information - Participants Visibility - Private Participants List.
- Registration rules - related to agenda selection - which participants can select specific event sessions (examples: students should not see the Gala Dinner session and register for the matchmaking session) set in Configuration - Registration Settings - Registration Rules.
- Payment - if the payment is enabled for your event, ticket rules can be set based on participation types.
Examples of typical participation types
- Buyer and Seller
- Investor and Start-Up
- Exhibitor and Visitor
- Local Company and Foreign Company
- Virtual and On-site.
Participants groups empower participants to find suitable partners for meetings by giving them an effective way to filter the participants on the website.
Furthermore, the participation groups can be used to adjust the registration process and payment fees by limiting which tickets are selectable by a certain participation type.